If we possess a website we first of all have to deal with those things that have to be considered by a responsible website owner. We have to make it sure that our website is secured not only for the customer but also for ourselves. Therefore, one of the techniques to secure our site is the usage of SSL Certificates. But before analyzing the fact that how we can secure web hosting by SSL Certificates, we should have a brief knowledge about SSL Certificates and Web Hosting.
If the data has to be sent and encrypted in a secure manner in between two endpoints then there is the requirement for the protocol and that is called Secure Socket Layer. The SSL Certificates are the resources by which web servers prove their identity to web browsers, allowing a secure site to communicate privately with the web browser via the HTTPS protocol. A SSL certificate contains the following information:
- The certificate holder’s name.
- The certificate’s serial number and expiration date.
- A copy of the certificate holder’s public key.
- The digital signature of the certificate-issuing authority.
If any individual and organization wants to visualize their website on the internet then it will be possible by mean of Web Hosting service. It is a business by virtue of which storage, connectivity and services are to be provided that is essential for a website.
SSL can deliver web security by providing encryption for every bit of information saved in our Web site. It also displays every server or client which uses TCP/IP that tries to access the site. It examines the reliability of every message that passes through the site. SSL is also used by most Web browsers. It is hosted into the Web browsers’ system by the use of the digital certificate. We should have both a private and public key for activating SSL.These keys should be used with the consent of the certificate. To secure web hosting by SSL Certificates following steps are taken:
- A browser requests a secure page (usually https://).
- The web server sends its public key with its certificate.
- The browser checks that:
- If the certificate was issued by a trusted party (usually a trusted root CA).
- If the certificate is still legal.
- If the certificate is related to the site contacted.
- The browser then uses the public key, to encrypt a random symmetric encryption key and sends it to the server with the encrypted URL required as well as other encrypted http data.
- The web server decrypts the symmetric encryption key using its private key and uses the symmetric key to decrypt the URL and http data.
- The web server sends back the requested html document and http data encrypted with the symmetric key.
- The browser decrypts the http data and html document using the symmetric key and displays the information.
SSL Certificates provide web security for our website by encrypting communications between the server and the visitor of the website. Following are the different SSL certificates which secure web hosting.
Comodo SSL Certificates
Comodo SSL Certificates are the nippiest technique for online businesses thereby protecting customer transactions by mean of SSL security. Comodo SSL delivers the utmost possible echelons of web security via 2048 bit signatures and up to 256 encryption. Comodo SSL provide highly visible site which cover builds reliance and supports customer conversion.
• Domain Validated Certificate – Positive SSL ($79 a year – FREE Installation for a limited time)
It is directly tied to our domain name, which assures the customers that they are on right website.
• Comodo Extended Validation EV SSL Certificate ($350 a year – FREE Installation for a limited time)
Extended Validation Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Certificates are special SSL Certificates that work with high security Web browsers to clearly recognize a Web site’s organizational identity. Extended Validation (EV) helps us to make sure a Web site is open and tested.
• Comodo Premium Wildcard ($479 a year)
A single PremiumSSL Wildcard Certificate secures multiple websites. The Wildcard Certificate is a cost effective and efficient means of securing all subdomains without the need to manage multiple certificates.
RapidSSL Certificate ($29.95 a year)
RapidSSL is security mechanism, which emphases on providing small/medium businesses (SMB) with strong 128 / 256 bit SSL encryption, industry standard SSL certificates. RapidSSL is the idyllic alternative for securing small and medium sized companies and web pages with restricted traffic. RapidSSL is a domain validated certificate and is usually issued within minutes.
GeoTrust helps us to save time and money while displaying the customers that we have an authenticated, reliable site and that information is secure during transmission.
Thus,to secure web hosting by SSL Certificates proves to be a cost effective solution and also we can secure web hosting by SSL Certificates in a stress-free way.