In managed hosting, a server used for one website only. It means average costs and high speed but less control. In colocation web hosting, the website owns the server hardware, kept in the host’s are for better speed, etc. It means high cost, high speed, and total control.
When web hosting firms promote their managed hosting plans, they often use the phrase “fully managed”. This term is actually really relative. One may think that the plan is fully managed while others might think that the technical support they receive from hosting firms is not sufficient. So the rule of thumb is: the higher the price, the more technical support you will get. In fully managed hosting plan, your website will be monitored by experienced webmasters on a regular basis. Simply put, you don’t have to worry about server downtimes and other technical issues. All you need is to pay and then receive updates from your managed hosting provider. You can sit back and enjoy!!
The distinctive feature of managed web hosting is that you will also be provided with basic administration of your website. This includes:
- configuring the server, monitoring it, running traffic reports, running back-ups and managing disk storage space
- monitoring site responsiveness and security and taking care of the databases.
- But this is only basic administration. Even with managed web hosting, you will have to install, manage and run the different applications you want on your website yourself.
Managed hosting is especially useful for:
- small to medium sized business firms since it is very costly to hire a full-time in-house webmaster to maintain their websites
- since maintaining a business website for maximum uptime is significant nowadays, managed hosting would be the perfect solution for companies to outsource the technical demand to the professionals from the web hosting firms.
Although managed web hosting plans are much more costly than shared web hosting plans, you save a great of deal of resources and time on maintaining your website. The savings you acquire can definitely enable your business to outperform your competitors.